Slip Into the Perfect Sleeve
Posted on May 23 2018
Throughout history, sleeve styles have been adapted to meet the needs and trends of each era. The best part about learning about historical fashion is realizing how much it has continued to influence modern style.
Journey through different sleeve designs throughout history:
- Middle Ages: Batwing Sleeves were known for their slim fit near the waist and loose fabric under the armpits. This style made its resurgence in the 2010s.
- Renaissance: Variety of sleeve styles introduced:
- Exposed Undergarments
- Floor Length
- 1700s: Ladies Sleeves were 3/4 length down the arm, no longer padded, then finished with lace and ruffles. The modern version of this style is still popular.
- 1830s: Puff sleeves (also known as leg-of-mutton sleeves) were big and full of personality. These inspired styles in the 1980s.
- 1900s: Cap sleeve and bracelet length sleeves that started at this time can still be seen today.
- 21st Century: Sleeveless options and combination of previous styles were introduced and allowed women more freedom of expression.
Popular fashion blog, Stylecraze, is a fun way to see where your favorite, modern sleeve styles drew inspiration. Why stop there? Learn more about different sleeve types throughout history from Sew Guide.
Cottonways is a sophisticated clothing line aimed at warm weather wardrobes and we’re focused on the variety of sleeves we bring to your tops, tunics and dresses. It’s important to feel good even in hot and humid climates which is why we provide a variety of sleeve options that are both breathable and comfortable.
Here are the sleeve varieties you can find from Cottonways:
- Short Sleeve: Cap sleeves, Shoulder Splits, Cut-Outs like the Giselle Top.
- Three Quarter Length Sleeves: Cuffed, Rolled and more like the Lula Top.
- Cold-Shoulder Sleeves: Variety of lengths for example the Demi Top.
- Full Sleeves: Long Cut-Outs with Buttons like the Nicole, or the Tammy Top.
Benefits of Cottonways Clothing:
- Washer Safer
- Dryer Safe
- 100% Preshrunk Cotton
Cottonways shirts are the perfect addition to your beach wardrobe. Don’t forget to join our Facebook community to stay connected with all the latest styles, and shop with us online to find the right sleeve style for your next favorite top.